Please visit my newly designed website.
www.christopheryuan.com
It's also optimized for iPhone/iPad! God bless you!



              What many would consider their worst nightmare has become a reality for Christopher Yuan. While attending dental school, he began living promiscuously as a homosexual and experimenting with illicit drugs. Within a few years, he was expelled from dental school, imprisoned for drug dealing and discovered that he was HIV positive.

              But God has turned his nightmare into an exciting and inspiring story of redemption, grace and transformation. Christopher has an understanding heart for and a desire to minister to those working through issues of sexuality and to those living with HIV/AIDS. He speaks locally and internationally to youth, on college campuses, in churches and in prisons.

              Christopher graduated from Moody Bible Institute in 2005 and Wheaton College Graduate School in 2007 with a Master of Arts in Biblical Exegesis and is currently pursuing a doctorate of ministry at Bethel Seminary. He now teaches at Moody while continuing his speaking ministry which has reached four continents around the world. Christopher has spoken at both Saddleback Church and Willow Creek Community Church in America and at many conferences including InterVarsity's Urbana and the Moody Pastors' Conference and Men's Conference. He is also featured in the award-winning documentary, "HOPE Positive: Surviving the Sentence of AIDS" and has co-authored with his mother, Out of a Far Country: A Gay Son's Journey to God, A Broken Mother's Search for Hope (forthcoming May 3, 2011 by WaterBrook Multnomah a division of Random House).

Monday, September 24, 2007

Daily Herald Front Page on Tuesday, Sept. 25


After Soulforce’s visit to Wheaton College in April, 2006, The Daily Herald has been working on a piece that would cover the stories of two people from both sides of the homosexual debate: myself and another Wheaton alumnus (Jay Johnson, who has embraced homosexuality).

This year has presented many roadblocks but finally the story will be released in tomorrow’s paper. Both will start on the front page and finish in the Neighbor Section of the paper.

Please pray that God’s Truth of redemption for homosexuals will shine through in both pieces. Please pray that as opposition comes to me and my family, we will remain faithful witnesses of the Grace given so freely to us from our loving Creator.

Feel free to take advantage of this opportunity to share this story with your co-workers, neighbors and friends that the complete message of the Gospel is redemption and transformation available to all!

6 Comments:

Blogger Michael in Norfolk said...

Christopher,

I do not question your good intentions (unless you are now on the payroll of an ex-gay organization and “ex-gay for pay”). However, I am sorry if I am cynical about the reality of your experience and how long your “change” will continue. Having (1)followed ex-gay claims for quite a few years now, (2) helped expose ex-gay, Michael Johnston as a fraud (http://www.washingtonblade.com/2003/8-8/news/national/exgay.cfm), and (3) lived many years myself in denial abut my sexuality, your story sounds all to familiar. Being married and having children does NOT make one straight – I was married and have 3 children, so I do not fall for that BS line.

The reality is that no LEGITIMATE studies support the "change" and "cure" claims. Self-denial and self-deception can be very powerful, especially when one has allowed their life to spiral out of control due to drugs and/or alcohol, which have nothing to do with one's sexual orientation. From my experience, gays who have drug and alcohol problems also usually have a great deal of emotional and psychological damage as a result of unwelcoming religious backgrounds and/or failed cure attempts.

I can only hope that you do not lead to many individuals down a road of false hope that ends in self-hate and self-loathing.

Michael-in-Norfolk
http://michael-in-norfolk.blogspot.com/

October 8, 2007 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Michael in Norfolk said...

P.S. I hope you have the guts to post my previous comment.

October 8, 2007 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Christopher Yuan said...

Michael,

I appreciate your willingness to dialogue on this very controversial and yet personal topic. I agree with you that being married and having children "does NOT make one straight."

But I would like to present the flip side of your argument that there are no LEGITIMATE studies which prove that change is impossible.

I'd hope that just as I respect your views and respect that you are happy to live as you choose, you would respect my views and respect that I am happy to live as I choose.

Any serious cynicism or claim that my change is impossible seems to be nothing less than intolerant and close-minded.

When it comes down to it, only time will tell. But in the meantime while some watch my every step in the hopes that I would "fall," I will continue to live my new, changed life in happiness and contentment.

Christopher Yuan

P.S. Oh, I'm not on any ex-gay organization payroll.

October 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM  
Blogger Michael in Norfolk said...

Glad to hear that you are not on any pay roll. That certainly improves your credibility to some extent.

When referred to "legitimate studies," I meant peer reviewed studies that have been found to be properly prepared and a with sufficient number of participants and follow up to be statistically sound. Even the new Exodus related study - which shows a 2/3 failure rate - fails on these measures.

As for the allegation of intolerance, I do not work to limit the rights of others or let myself be used as a propaganda tool by those seeking to limit the legal rights of others. Sadly, far too many "ex-gays" align themselves with anti-gay organizations that seek to enshrine their religious beliefs into the civil laws at the expense of gay Americans. Bottom line, you are free to be ex-gay if you want, just do not work to further the agenda of those who seek to marginalize and stigmatize gays.

October 9, 2007 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Michael in Norfolk said...

If more ex-gay organizations acted as the one described in this link (http://www.exgaywatch.com/wp/2007/10/uk-one-time-ex-gay-group-backs-gay-equality-initiative/), I believe that many more in the LGBT community would not see ex-gays as adversaries.

It is the all too frequent ex-gay alignment with the Christian Right in the effort to limit gay legal rights that causes the dislike.

October 10, 2007 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Christopher Yuan said...

Michael:

Your example of an "ex-gay" organization is actually no longer "ex-gay" according to the article you linked.

Michael, I don't consider you an adversary and this post is not even discussing politics. But it is hard not feel your attacks against my character and genuineness.

However, I do appreciate your willingness to talk with me as opposed to the many who would just rather bad-mouth me behind my back.

Christopher

October 17, 2007 at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home